For those who enjoy the convenience and comfort of a Baxi boiler, they will want to make sure their system is kept safe and secure. As with any boiler system, carbon monoxide can pose a serious risk to families if the boiler is not properly maintained. Carbon monoxide can cause serious injury and even death, so it is vital to make sure that a homeowners boiler is as safe as possible. After all, while keeping the water warm is always a priority, it should not come at the expense of safety. This article will look at what carbon monoxide poisoning is, how it can happen in a home, and what homeowners can do to protect themselves against it.
Carbon monoxide is a gas that is toxic to human beings. This gas is a by-product of fossil fuel combustion, such as with gas ovens, car exhaust, and improperly maintained boilers. In most cases, carbon monoxide does not pose a danger to homeowners as a well-ventilated house will remove the carbon monoxide into the open air. However, if the ventilation system is blocked or damaged, then carbon monoxide may leak into the home. Because it is odourless and tasteless, it is often impossible to detect without a proper detection system.
Risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
As stated above, carbon monoxide poisoning usually occurs because a ventilation system, such as a chimney or flue, is blocked or damaged. Poisoning can also occur, however, if a gas appliance, such as a boiler, has been improperly installed or maintained. Because carbon monoxide is so difficult to detect, it often goes unnoticed before it is too late. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, including nausea, fatigue, and headaches, are often confused with the flu. However, if the occupant finds that the symptoms are worse at home and that other members of the household are also suffering similar symptoms, then he should vacate the premises immediately as these are signs of a carbon monoxide leak.
Protection against Carbon Monoxide
To make sure a boiler is at a reduced risk of a carbon monoxide leak homeowners should take steps to ensure household safety before installation even begins. New boilers are much safer than older models and when choosing an installer consumers should never contract a professional who is uncertified. Doing so is not only illegal, but it could be exposing the members of the household to a great degree of risk. All installers and service engineers must be Gas Safe registered, and if they are not they must be reported to the police as they are putting peoples lives at risk. The boiler should also be inspected annually by a certified engineer.
Installing carbon monoxide detectors should also be considered a necessity for every household. A smoke alarm cannot detect carbon monoxide, so it should not be relied upon to do so. Be sure that the carbon monoxide detectors are tested weekly and that they are loud enough to wake the occupants as most carbon monoxide deaths occur during sleep. Keep in mind, however, that a carbon monoxide detection system is just one component of protecting against carbon monoxide and the presence of such a system does not mean that inspections and maintenance of a homes boiler system can be allowed to slide.